Plastic is a synthetic substance produced by chemical reactions.Almost all types of plastics are produced from petroleum except a few experimental resins prepared from corn or other sources.Plastic is widely used in packaging materials or for preparing bags or containers.Its easy availability and cost effectiveness make it a popular choice for various purposes.However the hazards associated with plastics are plenty.
- The "use and throw away" culture associated with plastics causes its improper disposal and is one of the cardinal reasons for unclean, unhygienic environment
- Improper disposal of plastics causes blockage in the drainage system,unclean water and water borne diseases
- They remain in the soil for long period and cause infertility of soil.
- Certain plastics when burnt produces carcinogenic substances and Green House Gases
- The littering of plastic reduces rain water percolating and causes low ground water level
- Consumption of plastic by animals and fishes causes death or other health hazards.
- Exposure to the chemicals in plastic produces toxicological effects on human health.The circulatory,endocrine, reproductive and urinary systems are most affected.
- Educating people on proper disposal of plastics
- More R& D activities to produce cheap bio degradable plastics
- Subsidizing bags or containers made from traditional materials
- Taxation on the use of plastics
- Penalties for improper disposal of plastics